Credit Transfer

Transferring Credits to the Seminary

At Briercrest College and Seminary, we want to give you credit for what you've already learned. We accept courses for transfer of credit from accredited institutions in Canada and elsewhere. We also review courses from unaccredited institutions for possible transfer credit.

Students who have completed graduate-level course work at another institution can submit their official transcripts and request transfer credit. Successfully completed courses will be transferred based on the accreditation of the teaching institution they were completed at. Transfer credits will be applied to a limit that allows the student to fulfill the residency requirement of 30 credit hours for the Master of Arts and Master of Divinity degrees. In addition to fulfilling the residency requirements, students must complete a minimum of half of all required courses in core and program specific requirements through Briercrest.

For complete details, download the Briercrest College and Seminary Credit Transfer Policy.

Transcript Evaluation

Have your previous institution(s) mail us official copies of your final transcripts. Faxes or photocopies are adequate for an unofficial transfer analysis to be completed, but no transfer credit will be awarded until an official copy of your final transcripts is received by the Admissions office. If you have attended more than one graduate institution, you should forward transcripts from each one. The results of your transfer analysis will be made known to you approximately one week after we receive this information. Official transcripts can be mailed to the following address:

Admissions Office
Briercrest College and Seminary
510 College Drive
Caronport, SK
S0H 0S0

Taking a Class Outside of Briercrest

Admitted students who wish to take courses offered by other post-secondary institutions toward their program at Briercrest must first apply for permission to be a visiting student through the Academic Services office, There is no fee for a letter of permission.

For more information on our transfer credit policies, contact your academic adviser or Academic Services.

Recognition of Prior Learning

Can I get credit for my experiential learning?

Briercrest offers Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition. This process makes it possible to evaluate past learning against established academic standards so that Briercrest can award credit. This process includes evaluation of learning by portfolio, challenge exams, and interview. These options are available only to accepted students.

Portfolio or PLMA (Prior Learning and Ministry Assessment)

This process is a guided study in how to move life learning into an academic framework to obtain academic credit. Attention will be given to identifying personal strengths, weaknesses, and life mission, to examining the formal learning experience and what is required in an academic program, and to integrating life learning into a chosen academic program. For those who are contemplating a return to formal education, this process is a beginning point to help clarify goals and expectations as well as an outline of the process required in requesting academic credit for non-formal learning experience(s). You must be an accepted student to begin this process. download the PLMA guided study.